The theme for the project is lines and grids/jackets blankets and sheets. In my research I found a Dutch company who make sheets and duvets that look like old cardboard boxes that the homeless might sleep in on the streets. A percentage of the bedding sales goes to various charities that support the homeless and the designs are supposed to promote awareness.
I took a hammer, a cheese grater, a knife and sandpaper to a cardboard box to see what might happen. I photographed the result and played around a bit in Corel Paint Shop Pro and this is the result.
I made a couple of stitched textile samples which I was happy with but couldn't see how I could get the scale right on a much larger piece of fabric for the scarf. I thought I might just be better to make smaller sections and apply these as patches to a hand dyed background.
This inspired me to continue with the idea of making small patches, hopefully each with a different design and fabrics. I estimate that I'll need about 200 or so to complete the scarf. Once complete I plan to immerse the whole thing into an indigo dye bath. If I feel brave enough!